What is Sunset Park Solar?
Sunset Park Solar will be New York City’s first community led solar project dedicated towards providing tangible benefits to Sunset Park residents and businesses. The project will be owned and operated by a partnership between UPROSE, a Sunset Park based climate justice organization and its developer partner Working Power. Households and small businesses are invited to sign up for more information about how they can participate in the project and start saving money on their Con Edison bills while supporting local clean energy.
The solar energy system will be installed on the roof of the Brooklyn Army Terminal, a dynamic industrial campus on the Sunset Park waterfront owned and managed by the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC). In November 2018, NYCEDC awarded a solar roof lease to a project team composed of local non-profits UPROSE and its partners.
January 2023 Project Update!
Thank you so much for your patience with us these past few months. We know we’ve been quiet for some time, but we’ve been working hard to develop an innovative solar project that delivers you, our community members, meaningful financial benefits.
This is the first project of its kind in New York State. Like many first-of-its-kind projects, we’ve had some hurdles.
What’s been happening the past two years?
Over the past two years, we’ve been working hard to build a solar project that is first of its kind in New York State. We are piloting a new model that will direct numerous benefits to you and the Sunset Park Community including a community fund and bill discounts. We’ve faced some challenges including the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sometimes these challenges have taken us longer to address than we anticipated. Our priority remains ensuring that you receive solar benefits such as bill discounts as quickly as possible.
What has changed since I first signed up?
- Project partners: Co-op Power and the New York City Community Energy Co-op (NYC-CEC) are no longer our project partners. We are now working with Working Power, a solar development company that prioritizes community leadership and community benefits in solar. You can learn more about them by visiting their website.
- No Energy Co-op and no membership fees: Because Co-op Power is no longer our partner, we will no longer be working with the New York City Community Energy Co-op. As a result you will no longer have to pay upfront membership fees to participate in Sunset Park Solar.
- A simpler billing process: Due to changes in New York State law we are now able to consolidate our billing. You will no longer receive separate bills from ConEd and Sunset Park Solar. These have been combined into one bill that you will receive from ConEd. This simplifies your billing process! See the end of this document for a brief description of how consolidated billing works.
What has stayed the same?
- Our commitment to being transparent and honest with you.
- The location of our solar. Our solar array is a 685 kW solar located on top of Brooklyn Army Terminal in Sunset Park.
- Your electricity bill discounts: We are still providing you with significant electricity bill discounts of at least 15%.
How can I stay up to date with progress on the Sunset Park Solar?
- Check your email inbox for emails from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the Sunset Park Solar Facebook group where we will post updates. Click this link to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SunsetParkSolar
- Visit the Sunset Park Solar Website
- Attend upcoming virtual and in person forums hosted by UPROSE on March 7th and March 17th. We will provide further information on these events in February 2023. .
Where can I get more information on this project?
We will be hosting a virtual forum on Tuesday March 7th at 6pm and an in-person forum on Friday March 17th at 6pm at UPROSE’s offices. We will provide more information on these forums in February 2023.
- Customer-friendly contract terms
Watch this short video to learn more!